You think the world of online gambling is big? Wait until 2026, when it’s worth $100 billion. There’s a reason online casinos are getting so popular: it’s all the fun of Vegas from the comfort of home.
But we know that the spinning wheels and flashing lights of an online casino can be intimidating — and you might miss out on the fun. That’s why we’ve curated this all-inclusive guide: over the next 10 minutes, you’ll learn everything you need to know about playing online casinos in Canada in 2021.
Features and Advantages of Playing in Canada
Canada is home to some of the best online casinos in the world, so players are in for a world of treats when gambling:
- Bonuses. Canadian casinos love awarding bonuses to get new players online. Casinos offer bonus spins and free spins, welcome bonuses, deposit bonuses, and more. Getting a bonus just for signing up means people can play with essentially no risk, opening the world of online gambling to many new players.
- Legal protection. In Canada, online gambling is legal, so you will have no regulatory problems to worry over. Gambling laws are strong, and casinos are well-regulated, so gamblers are well protected.
- Game variety. Whatever game you prefer, you’ll never run out of options at a casino online in Canada. Gambling sites house a wide range of games, suitable for novices and experts alike.
- Secure payments. The country’s financial regulations ensure that online payments are kept safe and secure, so you can rest easy knowing your winnings are protected.
How to Play for Real Money
If the #1 reason you’re playing is to win big, gambling at an online casino in Canada for real money is the path for you. The best part? Your winnings almost certainly aren’t taxable!
Indeed, it’s easier than ever to play at an online casino for real money in Canada. Don’t believe us? Most online casinos in Canada will offer you two “modes” of play:
- Play online casino games free, or “demo mode.”
- Play real money, or “real money mode.”
Often, people might be concerned about the fairness of casino games, especially if they’re betting real money. Rest assured that pseudo-random number generators run these games — they’re complex algorithms that ensure total fairness for everyone playing.
How to Choose a Good Online Casino?
When playing for real money, you want to make sure you’ve chosen the best online casino possible. Before you start betting, do some research on the following aspects:
- Security and safety. Whenever you’re taking part in online gambling, you should confirm that the site is run and owned by a licensed, audited, and reputable company. IGT, Microgaming, and NetEnt are some well-known online gaming software brands.
- Payment options. Some online Canadian casinos will bombard you with payment options. Pro tip: most of them don’t matter. As long as your casino offers credit, debit, and e-Transfer, you should be good to go. We’ll cover banking methods more deeply later.
- Game selection. What kinds of casino games do you want to play? Slots, roulette, blackjack — none of them are an issue for casinos online in Canada. Some sites will specialize in certain games, so choose accordingly.
- Finances. How fast are the deposits and withdrawal methods? Are there any fees or account minimums involved? How long do your payouts take?
- Bonuses. Believe us; the digital casino world wants nothing more than new players, so they’re happy to give away thousands in free spins and welcome bonuses. Take your pick with whichever one you like!
- Customer support. The quality of the support you get for any product or service can make or break the experience, so prioritize online casinos with excellent customer support.
Types of Games in Canadian Online Casinos
Online casinos in Canada offer a myriad of choices when it comes to games. Whether you’re looking for:
- The thrill of random chance
- A more strategic gaming experience
- A casino online best suited for beginners
- Or one that’s more targeted at experts
The best Canadian online casinos probably cover it. Here’s a quick list of the types of games you can expect to find:
Up to 70% of physical casino revenue comes from slots, so it’s no wonder you’ll find them in almost any online Canadian casino. With online slots, you bet on paylines: specific arrangements for the symbols that spin on your screen. Some casinos will provide progressive jackpots, where the grand prize grows in size every time someone spins and loses.
Online casinos make slots easy — simply hit one button to bet the max on all paylines and spin! If you’re going the mobile route, many apps will provide free spins or bonus spins to new players (but more on that later).
Nothing is off the table when it comes to an online casino for Canada (see what we did there?)
That’s why you won’t have any trouble finding Blackjack (one of the most popular table games in the world) on online casino sites. Blackjack hasn’t changed very much in its transition to the digital world: dealers (or algorithms, when playing online) will shuffle several decks of cards together for you.
You want all the numbers on your cards to add up to 21 (or get as close as possible), so you can choose whether to accept new cards or stick with your current ones. The size of the bets you place will vary, with minimums being set by the online casinos.
Few table games occupy the cultural conscience like poker, and it’s not hard to see why — it’s fun! Video poker games generally follow the same rules as regular poker. You have a hand of cards that can match with a group of common cards to make winning combinations.
Poker is incredibly diverse, so that is an oversimplification. But don’t worry; the best online casinos in Canada will make the process easy for you.
As far as casino games go, there’s nothing quite as iconic as a roulette wheel. The rules are simple: place your bets and watch the ball spin. Whatever it lands on determines your payout.
Roulette is a popular choice because you don’t need too much education or strategy to start playing. Like most online gambling activities offered in Canada, you can play roulette online in ‘demo mode’ or for real money. Maybe it’s time for you to finally have your James Bond moment?
Live Dealer Games
Online casino games are convenient, but maybe you miss the presence of a dealer when you’re playing. Look no further than the live casino games offered by Canadian casinos all over the country. Blackjack, poker, roulette, you name it — almost all casino games (table games at the very least) can be played live online.
You’ll play with an actual dealer in a live game (instead of an algorithm) over a live stream. Many online casino sites also offer a live chat option for an added social element.
Banking Methods for Canadian Online Gamblers
Before you hit the slots — or whatever table game you may prefer — you’ll need to fund your account. In the past, this was a long, tedious, and laborious process. Luckily, it’s never been more secure and straightforward to fund your online casino account. The best online casinos in Canada will generally offer these forms of funding:
- Credit/debit cards. We use credit and debit anywhere, and online casinos are no different. With Visa and MasterCard, you’ll see deposits in your online casino account instantly. And unless your terms state otherwise, it’s free!
- Pre-paid cards. Many casino providers will accept deposits from pre-paid cards that will fund your account immediately. These are great options for people who want to keep their banking details more private or strictly control their gambling budget.
- Interac e-Transfer or Interac Online. If you’re a Canadian who uses Online Banking with any of the Big 5 (TD, RBC, CIBC, BMO, Scotiabank), you likely have access to e-Transfer. Just connect your account details and go! It’s instant banking that’s easy, secure, and widely accepted.
- Cryptocurrency. Crypto is quickly becoming one of the more popular methods of banking for gamblers in Canada. However, playing with $BTC, $ETH, or other coins can be risky, given the market’s volatility. But if security, speed, and anonymity are a top priority for you, this is an attractive option.
Can’t choose? Don’t worry — almost all of these options provide fast deposit and withdrawal times. With so many online casino options available to Canadians today, it’s crucial to identify the ones with the payment infrastructure and security to ensure your peace of mind. That way, the only thing you’re worried about is having a great time.
Canadian Mobile Casino Gambling in 2021
While mobile casino gambling may seem like a newer trend, it has actually been around for years: early Nokia phones from the early 2000s had mobile gambling apps! Unfortunately, the technology of the time didn’t allow you to win real money. But with the advent of iOS and Android, mobile casino games have improved exponentially. 55% of online gamblers play using their mobile devices, a figure that is likely to grow over the next few years—and for good reason.
The Benefits of Mobile Casino Gambling
- Convenience: No longer do you have to travel to Monte Carlo or Macau to gamble — even booting up your laptop is no longer necessary. Mobile casino apps are private and portable, meaning you can bring the fun to your commute, the break room, or anywhere else you want!
- Real money. It’s never been easier to play for real money in mobile online casinos. Both iOS and Android offer quick and easy payment processing, so you can start playing for cash right away. And you don’t have to worry about security — apps vetted by the App Store and the Google Play Store tend to be highly safe and trustworthy.
- Accessibility. Mobile online casinos offer everything traditional online casino gambling does: slots, tables games, even live dealer games for some. While that might intimidate newer players, mobile apps have clean, modern, user-friendly interfaces that make it easier to get started.
- Incentives. Gaming brands know the future of Canadian online casinos is mobile, so they want people on their apps. They’ll incentivize new players with incredible rewards, like free spins or a welcome bonus of over $1,000!
Curious about where to get started? Here are some of the best online casinos you can access via mobile app:
- Jackpot City: home to over 500 different games, Jackpot City has a massive welcome bonus of $1,600 when you join.
- Spin Samurai: you’re unlikely ever to get bored with the slots in Spin Casino, and the $1,200 new player bonus (combined with 75 free spins) is sure to help.
- Spin Casino: their $1,000 welcome bonus is a lovely addition to their 97% slot payout rate.
How We Do Our Casino Reviews
It’s crucial to vet online casinos for Canadian players to ensure fun and safety.
That’s why we review gambling sites against a comprehensive set of characteristics that put you — the player — first.
- Licensing. First and foremost, we check to see if the casino has the appropriate licensing so that it’s entirely legal for you to play.
- Security and safety. We look to see if the casino’s games and software are provided by a reputable and trusted company like Microgaming or IGT.
- Payments. Good online casinos offer a variety of payment options that are legally secure, reliable, and fast. We’ll check for payment options of credit, debit, cryptocurrency, e-Transfer, and more.
- Reputation. The reputation of the casino itself is just as crucial as its software providers’ — we’ll make sure they both align.
- Bonuses. With casino bonuses, players can keep their budget healthy. That’s why we look for bonuses that will enhance your gaming experience.
- Games. The reason you’re here in the first place! We’ll analyze game variety and payouts so you can choose whichever casino best fits your profile.
- Loyalty and customer service. A good casino is a caring casino, so we will search for records of good customer support and promotions for loyalty programs.
- User interface. Navigating an online casino should be a fun, easy experience, which is why we look at UI in our casino reviews.
It’s Time to Start Playing Today
You’ve done it! We’ve covered:
- Why Canada is one of the best places to gamble online
- Playing for real money
- The criteria that make a good casino
- Types of games at the casino
- Banking methods
- Mobile casino gaming
- What goes into our reviews
Now you can navigate the world of Canadian online casinos with confidence and ease. Remember to play responsibly, do your research, and most important of all, have fun!
To find the perfect online casino to play at next, check out some of our reviews.